Skip’s Place in Fallon was established in 1907 by Frances Harrigan. Harrigan was born in Gold Hill in 1873 and moved to Fallon when he was eleven to live with his grandparents after the deaths of his parents. He raised bees for honey, turkeys and cantaloupe, as well as Durham cattle. A 1911 article in the Fallon Eagle newspaper stated that Harrigan shipped 592 cases of honey, needing an eight horse team to bring it to town. His granddaughters Yvonne Prettyman and Sidney Ellen Imeson own the ranch. In 2010, the Skip’s Place was a recipient of the Nevada Centennial Award Ranch & Farm Award.
This entry is from the Nevada Centennial Awards Ranch & Farm Program which recognizes agricultural families who have owned and operated the same land in Nevada for 100 years or more. Forty-seven families have now been inducted into the program that began in 2004. The awards program is sponsored by the Nevada Agriculture Plate funds, Farm Bureau, Agricultural Foundation, Nevada Department of Agriculture, Cattlemen’s Association and USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service. For more information about the Nevada Centennial Awards Ranch & Farm Program please visit http://agri.nv.gov/.